Name:
Location: East coast, mid-Atlantic, United States

I'm a certified Master Gardener. Gardening has been my pastime and stress reliever for more than 20 years. Now it's a full time hobby through which I am learning, discovering and enjoying.

Friday, July 07, 2006

Making the most of one day

I had one day in Dubai, so I made the most of it. I'll share the tour...

First, Dubai is one of the seven emirates that make up the United Arab Emirates. Other than Abu Dabi, it is probably one of the most notable and prosperous of the emirates. I took the "Big Bus Tour" and learned a fair amount, none of which I've taken the time to verify.

First let me share with you that the "Big Bus Tour" is in a double-decker, open air bus. So I sat in the blowing 100+ degree wind for two hours touring this little desert island. Needless to say I was soaked with sweat by the end of the tour. To sum things up, this little sand and rock island is alive with construction. There are simply hundreds of office and residential highrise buildings under construction, including one that will be be the tallest in the world. And if you'd like to own your own island, they'll build one for you here, just as they did for Rod Stewart.

There is also a hotel under construction that will be the world's first hotel completely under water. Each room will be like a small submarine. We passed one of the tallest buildings and only 7-star hotel that is in the shape of a sail. Tiger Woods hit balls off its helo-port and it has the world's only restaurant that is totally under wate!

We passed a huge park that is porported to be one of the world's most "technologically-smart" parks, and the largest man-made harbor in the world -- more than 3 km long! By the time the whole harbor project is done there will be 200 highrise buildings lining the harbor.

And then we came upon the most extravagent building of all -- the largest mall in the middle east, which also houses the world's largest indoor ski areahe --Mall of the Emirates and Ski Dubai. Yes, a huge ski and winter park area all indoors. There's even a ski lift to take skiers to the top of the run! But lest you be overly impressed, the so-called largest mall in the world is being built not too far away -- the Mall of Arabia. So the good people of Texas can just get down off their high horse -- they've got real competition here in Dubai for the biggest, bestest or most outrageous!

Knowing that the future of the free world rests upon my shoulders (chuckle), I made myself wander through two huge malls to observe the going-on and do a little browsing. Dubai is definately a mix of people from all over the world. I am sure that actual Arabs were in the minority at both malls. As a fair-skinned blond, I did not feel out of place. I did find, however, that the best deals were in the non-western stores. I also found a Woolworth! When was the last time any of us saw one of the those? I thought they had all gone out of business. This one reminded me of a Kohls Department Store, not the traditional Woolworths I grew up with.

We also passed the royal family's palaces, as well as their summer homes, which were right next door. We stopped at the large beach on the Gulf of Arabia, and passed a number of mosques. In fact, Dubai boasts a mosque every 500 meters.

So after a day of touring I relaxed in the hotel's "executive lounge" and finished my most recent Norah Roberts romance novel -- "Jewels of the Sun." Aidan and Jude Frances Murray finally got together, and Jude is moving to Ireland. It was so touching.

Anyway, here are few photos from my brand-spanking new camera, which I figured out on my own!



This is a view of some of the high rise areas of the city.




This is one of many mosques. This one is open to the public (non-muslims, on Thurs and Sunday)





Here are some typical homes.




The main beach on the Gulf of Arabia





The outside of the Mall of the Emirates and the Ski Dubai winter sports area.






Inside the ski area.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home