Not much to report today
Not much to report, it was just a day of work.
We had a very good meeting today at the US Embassy with all of our counterparts from various agencies working on the same project. I sat next to an Army LTC whom I recognized -- she had attended events at the US Institute of Peace. Small world.
We went back to our house for a casual lunch of Afghan bread and deli meat, and then I spent the afternoon at the ministry to which I am assigned.
My first task is to get to know the people and their jobs. There are some six young people working on media monitoring and analysis, and I enjoyed talking with them, even though the language barrier was at times a challenge. They are speak English pretty well.
The weather changed today. It's been very hot, in the upper 90s, but because there is almost no humidity, it's not that bad. I think I've gotten used to the heat. But today the winds kicked up and I suspect the barametric pressure rose as well. The winds kicked up the dust as there hasn't been rain here in awhile, and the air pressure made the air feel quite heavy. I was glad to be in the air conditioning most of the day.
Tonight we relaxed on our patio and prepared our own little dinners in our apartments. A photo is attached. I share an apartment with another woman. We have two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a sitting room, and a kitchen. We made a light dinner of tuna fish with onions, sliced tomatoes, and grapes, and watched the BBC news. We learned of the train bombings in India. So sad.
One really cool thing I discovered today was ice cube baggies. We can't drink the tap water here for fear of getting sick, and there aren't many ice cube trays. So the house manager bought these cool bags that are about the size of one gallon freezer bags, but are divided into squares. You pour water in them and then freeze it into clean, small ice cubes. I've never seen this kind of bag before. It works very well when one is living on bottled water. And I love ice with my drinks, so I am assured of getting clean ice. Nifty!

Here I am with my colleague Paul, relaxing on our patio.
We had a very good meeting today at the US Embassy with all of our counterparts from various agencies working on the same project. I sat next to an Army LTC whom I recognized -- she had attended events at the US Institute of Peace. Small world.
We went back to our house for a casual lunch of Afghan bread and deli meat, and then I spent the afternoon at the ministry to which I am assigned.
My first task is to get to know the people and their jobs. There are some six young people working on media monitoring and analysis, and I enjoyed talking with them, even though the language barrier was at times a challenge. They are speak English pretty well.
The weather changed today. It's been very hot, in the upper 90s, but because there is almost no humidity, it's not that bad. I think I've gotten used to the heat. But today the winds kicked up and I suspect the barametric pressure rose as well. The winds kicked up the dust as there hasn't been rain here in awhile, and the air pressure made the air feel quite heavy. I was glad to be in the air conditioning most of the day.
Tonight we relaxed on our patio and prepared our own little dinners in our apartments. A photo is attached. I share an apartment with another woman. We have two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a sitting room, and a kitchen. We made a light dinner of tuna fish with onions, sliced tomatoes, and grapes, and watched the BBC news. We learned of the train bombings in India. So sad.
One really cool thing I discovered today was ice cube baggies. We can't drink the tap water here for fear of getting sick, and there aren't many ice cube trays. So the house manager bought these cool bags that are about the size of one gallon freezer bags, but are divided into squares. You pour water in them and then freeze it into clean, small ice cubes. I've never seen this kind of bag before. It works very well when one is living on bottled water. And I love ice with my drinks, so I am assured of getting clean ice. Nifty!

Here I am with my colleague Paul, relaxing on our patio.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home