Name:
Location: East coast, mid-Atlantic, United States

I'm a certified Master Gardener. Gardening has been my pastime and stress reliever for more than 20 years. Now it's a full time hobby through which I am learning, discovering and enjoying.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Scenes from Kabul

Sorry it's been two days since I've written. Not only have I been busy with work during the day, but we've also had get-togethers two evenings in a row. So I simply didn't have time. I've received several emails from family and friends, including my lovely husband, who have given me very positive feedback on the blog, so I'm trying to keep it up to date.

I have a lot to report. First, we've put in a badminton court in one of the three grassy areas in our little compound, and two of us have taken up playing each day. It's great exercise, although I think I managed to strain a muscle in my back as I leaped in the air and twisted in an attempt to deliver a backhanded return shot. That taught me not to be quite so aggressive!

Wed. evening we ordered pizza and had dinner at our compound with a couple of guests. It's amazing how people who barely know one another can talk for hours. We end up telling a lot of stories about past travels, or swap gossip about what's going on here. Perhaps it's because we all work in the field of communications that we never find a shortage of things to talk about.

After two days of work at one of the Afghan government ministries, on Thursday afternoon I was ready for some real exercise. I stopped by the US Army compound to work out at it's fantastic gym. I've included a photo of the cardio area below. I was amazed at the equipment, as well as the classes it offers. There's a large weight room on the first floor, and a cardio area on the second. There's also a spinning room with daily spinning classes. I saw fliers for salsa and swing dancing classes as well.

I also spend some time at the Press Center and public affairs office. The interpreter and driver I worked with are still there from two years ago, and we traded stories for about 30 minutes. Then I spent time visiting with the PAO, whom I've known for several years. I don't really know anyone else on the compound, but it is kind of neat to revisit it. So many good memories! Before I left I grabbed some fresh fruit because I knew it would be safe to eat. You have to be very careful with fruits and veggies here as they tend to be covered with germs and it's easy to get sick. One of my colleagues bought grapes from a vendor the other day, and even though we rinsed them thoroughly five times, I managed to get upset intestines about one hour after eating them. So I'm going to stick with fruit from trusted sources, i.e., US government facilities. I was able to shake the bug within 24 hours and really didn't suffer too much.

Thursday evening we had dinner at a Lebanese restaurant. The food was excellent. I've attached photos because the atmosphere was colorful, including the hookas or water pipes people were smoking (no dope, just regular tobacco I think.) Notice the armed guards who were eager to pose with me. Most major restaurants here employ armed guards for security. I know, it's probably a bit scary to you, but after being here awhile one gets used to it.

Today, Friday, is a day of worship and rest in Kabul, so most things are closed and we have the day off. We all slept in and then several of us went to the US Embassy to swim and have lunch. Much of the Embassy is new, including the main building, and apartment complex for the staff, new barracks for the Marine guards, and a recreation area that includes a tennis court, lap pool and sand volleyball pit. There's also a very nice changing house with showers. A large gym is under construction. I have included a photo of the pool. The recreation area is really like a resort! It's very nice for the staff as two years ago they had very little in the way of recreation.

Photographing the main building is not allowed, but suffice to say it is quite beautiful. Much of the front is a geometrical pattern of colored mirrored glass in copper, orange and gold. The entire building is painted a deep rust color. And there is nice landscaping in front. The old, bullet-ridden gray Embassy building still stands as well. I think it's still in use, but I'm not sure what offices are inside. I wish I could have taken a photo of the new building as it's quite nice for this part of the world.

In fact, there are several new, shiny office buildings in Kabul, and an opulent new neighborhood referred to as "little Pakistan." Allegedly the homes are paid for with monies from illicit business like the narcotics trade. I've included photos of those as well.

Ariana Airlines has a beautiful new headquarters, there is a mall/hotel complex call the Landmark Center, and several other new business buildings in the city. Everywhere there is evidence that commerce is doing well in Kabul. People are fixing up buildings and opening new stores all the time. Clothing stores with lavish gowns for women are virtually everywhere. And I do notice a greater variety of apparel being worn by women here and not as many burqas.

Kabul is still a dusty, crowded city, but evidence of improvements are everywhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home