Name:
Location: East coast, mid-Atlantic, United States

I'm a certified Master Gardener. Gardening has been my pastime and stress reliever for more than 20 years. Now it's a full time hobby through which I am learning, discovering and enjoying.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

2nd Annual Kabul Desert Classic Charity Golf Tourney

About 36 golfers (18 teams of two) played in the 2nd Annual Kabul Desert Classic Golf Tournament August 11. It was a charity event and we raised almost $7,000 for Afghanistan Tomorrow, a non-profit that gets kids off the streets and sends them to school.

In the photo at right is of me, my partner Jeff, and our young caddie. Jeff and I turned out to be quite a team!
As we were finishing our last three holes we came upon a spring fed well. It was hotter than heck, so Jeff and some kids who were watching the tournament pulled up water for us to pour over our heads and necks.
This is the award ceremoney during which a check was presented to the head of the charity.

Jeff and I placed 5th out of the 18 teams, and were only 4 points away from the winning score. We burned those points on around the 5th hole. I had hit a beautiful 200 yard drive and Jeff managed another 100 yards to put the ball right on the green, about 3 feet from the hole. Unfortunately it was the wrong hole! Had it been the right hole, we would probably have placed second. Oh well, that's part of the game.

Allegedly I was the top female player, but there really wasn't much competition. We played for fun and for charity. No pressure.


There were apparently some players who required security details. I couldn't help but pose with two of the body guards. Hard body men with big guns -- it doesn't get much better!

In all seriousness, however, at one point during play those of us along one side of the course heard gunshots. The security details got down, locked and loaded, and were scanning the surrounding area for the source of the shots. Turns out apparently two Afghans picnicing at the recreation area got into a fight and one shot the other one. For a minute there I thought things were going to get exciting. But to our credit we never missed a beat of play. Yup, golf in Afghanistan is quite an adventure! Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home